Thursday, July 18, 2013

Update on the workings of the funniest people on earth.



So it’s been decided. The only thing better than 100 degree days opening cans with your friends with frantic goat round-ups at hourly intervals and pork breakfast lunch and dinner and a layer of grime and sweat so thick you’ll never be clean again is… you guessed it, nothing. Nothing beats right here, right now. I’ve said it a thousand times, I’ll scream it a thousand more, I love this place, I’m enamored with this space, I’ve got tomato sauce all over my face, did I mention I love this place? Here’s an update, assuming our Internet bandwidth isn’t used up before I’m done writing.

Thursdays are my day for hospitality, which means I’m in charge of the dogs, keeping the house clean, providing meals, and hydrating everyone working outside. (Team, if you’ve somehow got Internet down in Lower Barn and are reading this, don’t worry, Gatorade chews coming your way in 15 minutes.) It’s actually the hardest day of the week, because there are so many moving parts to hold in mind, playing mom involves a lot of scrubbing and elbow grease, and cooking is a hell of a lot harder than it looks. Kudos to all you moms out there, and especially my mom, I don’t know how you do it and I don’t think I’ll ever do it as well as you, so thank you, thank you! 

Back to the farm work. We have been seriously crushing the inventory out here. We’re four totes away from finishing all the Hard-to-Process that’s been backed up since winter. We’ve sorted out a dozen totes of canned goods in the past week. We’ve made so much pig slop, we’ve started dumping buckets straight to compost because the pigs can’t keep up eating it all. And we’ve completed a couple serious construction projects, including new nesting boxes for the hens and an outdoor composting toilet. On that note I must add, poop outside in a shelter you’ve built yourself, and you never poop the same again. The animals are doing well too—the pregnant sow is weeks away from giving birth, Ulysses the goat is annoying as ever but gets a new goat friend from another farm this weekend, and the donkeys have been rounded up to the pasture by the house. 

Our little FPF family is funny and fantastic. I’m not sure how I’m going to negotiate leaving this place, where the only way to fit in is to out-weird the rest and where our idea of fun is greasy hair contests, which I won, so y’all know. But seriously, not a meal goes by where we haven’t peed ourselves laughing or catapulted bits of pork into each others water glasses or come up with some new joke or bit or impression that we all think is hilarious. I think our motto for this place should be: Future Pointe Farm, the funniest people on earth! Because it’s true. And not only are we growing in funniness every day, we’ve grown incredibly as a community. Our favorite topics of discussion include what it means to be free, how important it is to ask for what you need, what happens when creativity and work intersect, why it matters that a person finds a comfortable place to live their own life, what it means to participate in a system like FPF, and how creepy Tim looks with his aviators and mustache living in the trailer just outside the house. (Answer to that last one: SUPER creepy.) My trust, respect, and love for this group of people are increasing by the minute. It’s wonderful place to be and is certainly redefining how I plan on participating all my relationships and interactions with others.

The only other monumental thing I’d like to add is that if I believe things happen for a reason (which I think I do,) I’m starting to get a sense of why I was called to this farm this summer. I’ve learned so much, about waste and sustainability, about using power tools and meditating during work and cooking, about caring for animals and managing heat and participating in a community… the list goes on, but more than all these handy life skills, I’ve discovered what it takes to live like you want to live. The word courage has taken on a whole new meaning. I’ve learned it takes courage to be who you are, to ask for what you need, to chase what you want, and to take yourself to great places with great people.  I’ve learned that’s the secret of life, to run freely and madly in the direction you feel called. And I’ve started the process of discerning where I’m called and how I want to get there. It’s a long process, but a good start. I’m excited to see where it takes me.

No comments:

Post a Comment